Sunday, November 2, 2008

Happy Halloween!

We had a fun Halloween. Even though we didn't make it to Cedar City this year (as per our annual tradition) it was still fun to actually be home and take our kids trick-or-treating to houses they actually know, and to hand out candy to the neighborhood kids (there were a ton!) Good thing I bought extra candy- we even had to dig into a two year old bag of Dum-dums. Dum-dums suck. I felt bad for the kids that got those. We took the kids out (even though it rained on and off the entire time- what's up with that?) trick-or-treating and they had a good time. Interestingly enough- they seemed more interested in the spooky decor than the candy. That was refreshing. It was also funny to note how the size of the candy bags seemed to exponentiate with the children's age. I was reminiscing about my own pillowcase days. Halloween is fun with the excited little ones who don't know how to be greedy yet.




The Black Widow spider and Thomas. Quite the pair!

Her costume was SO ghetto! I made it, so of course it was- I don't sew. At all. What you see is the result of stuffing black panty hose and sewing them onto a black turtleneck. Oh, and dont forget the felt "hourglass" on the front. Like I said, ghetto. But homemade costumes rule! (Besides- where the heck was I going to find a black widow costume? For some reason it is just what she just had to be this year.)
Drew and his buddy Ethan (I mean, the Sheriff) on the prowl for some candy.


Funny- in this light you can totally see the blue socks I stuffed the spider legs with. I am glad it got dark early.


The girls that work at at the Chevron by my house love my kids...we went trick-or-treating there early in the day and Allie scored herself an awesome Tootsie Roll.

I tried and tried to get a shot of her with her arms out..but she wasn't having it. This is the closest I could get.



Chocolate face. (I know, I know-no one else but a child's mother thinks their kid looks cute with food and crap all over their face. But this is my blog, so...there!)

We had Marshall's brothers and sister and their families over for dinner and a little FHE last Mon. Marshall's parents are still in Texas on their mission, so Marshall gave a nice lesson on missionary work, and we all wrote letters and drew pictures for grandma and grandpa. Marshall has a nice family.


The cousins.

Marshall and his two brothers.

I have always wanted to make caramel apples- the gourmet ones like you can get in chocolate shops. So I made them. They were good, but super rich. (This picture is blurry because my camera was on a weird setting and I didn't know.) We dipped the apples in caramel, let it set, then rolled them in toasted almonds, Reese's Pieces, Reese's PB cups, Mini M&M's, etc. Then we drizzled chocolate over all that! Like I said-rich.
We had a fun Halloween this year. Now it's time to pack away Skully and our other decoration pals until next October! Hope you all had a nice and spooky Halloween. Now it's time to gear up for all the Thanksgiving festivities and beginning of the holiday season. I love it!
p.s. Is there a set rule about how much of your child's Halloween candy you are allowed to eat before it is just plain mean?? Just wondering.














7 comments:

Mindi said...

I'm impressed you took on the feat of making "Ms. Black Widow's" costume.. whose idea was that anyway? I love her baby pig-tails. Costumes are fun, but really, I think getting all that free candy is the most fun part... for kids anyway (and for mom's that dip into their kid's goodie bags.. like me). Happy Halloween!

Nachelle said...

so fun, and I am super impressed with the black widow's costume, creative with the black nylons for arms...I don't sew either, so it looked amazing to me :) And your caramel apples sound super delicious...we made them too, but just with caramel and nuts yours sound so much better.

Michelle said...

Listen, your kids are little. Eat all you want! I am super impressed with your spider costume. She looked super cute and NOT ghetto. And no, I think ALL kids with food on their faces are cute, and I'm glad you posted it. Who cares what's on that face, she's adorable! I can't believe how fast time goes by either. I'm so excited for Thanksgiving and Christmas!! Miss you, let's get together soon.

Melissa said...

cute costumes! I didn't even recognize Allie with her pig tails. She looks so grown up with those! I can't believe you made her costume. Ghetto nothing!
Sorry you didn't make it down to Cedar City - next year!
Cute cute kids. Eat all their candy. They won't notice.
And I totally agree that it is so fun to trick or treat with little kids that are excited over anything they get. Yuck to the days when they are greedy with their candy.

Bringhursts said...

I can't believe how much your baby looks like you. It still blows me away. Glad you had a good Halloween. Also, when I first saw the black widow costume, I thought it was the spider costume from Pottery Barn so it wasn't quite as ghetto as you thought . . .

Anonymous said...

LOL -- I shouldn't laugh at your closing line...but Jeremy and I have been wondering this for years!! Our poor children have become permenantly stressed about "Dad taking their candy" -- so much so that we PROMISED them this year not to eat any. In fact, I bought an extra "costco" bag of candy just for us. :) Sad, the things you'll do for a sweet tooth.

Your kids looked adorable...Drew was one cute "Thomas" and I love Allie's ghetto spider look. (ghetto -- whatever!!) I'm gonna make my kids comstumes next year...well maybe. You go girl!!

Sarah said...

lol. I love the costumes and am VERY impressed you made the black widow! wow! I can't believe she's walking around, it's been way too long since I saw you guys! and I LOVE the comment about eating your kids halloween candy - I always justify it, saying it's not good for them so I'm actually doing them a favor - but I know darn right I'm not doing myself any favors when I scarf it down at night. :)