I heart Valentine's Day. I always have. Ever since the days of stuffing chalky heart-shaped candies into tiny envelopes, and writing on them the names of all my classmates, I have always relished the day, for some reason. Luckily, I have a husband who knows this, and he always does something sweet (although it's become a tad predictable; same Gerbera daisy bouquet and box of See's chocolates every year, but, hey- I'm not complaining! I love them both, and always look forward to receiving them!) However, this year was extra special. My mom came into town to go to a nursing conference with me (they talked about women's health stuff- it was super interesting and we had a blast going with my sis-in-law Rachel and my good friend Andrea) and she stayed the weekend so M and I could get away! We did our annual dinner at Maddox Ranch House (oh, how I love that place- wish we could go there more often!) And then we headed to the most po-dunk movie theater ever to see "He's Just Not That Into You" (a chick flick if ever there was one- Marshall was such a good sport to go along with my plans with that one-thanks for taking one for the team, honey!) Then, the next day, after we ate our weight in continental breakfast waffles (as per our annual tradition), and then we headed up to Crystal Hot Springs to enjoy a nice long soak in the hot springs, while being sprinkled with snow the entire time. The heat of the pools coupled with the freezing cold snow on bare skin was an interesting combination! And Marshall did his annual "swim trunks-only" snow angel. I admire his courage. (Or maybe it is called insanity?) On our way home, we stopped at the mall (wearing sweats and all disgusting and white trash looking after soaking in hot water for two hours- I'm sure you can imagine) for some Chick-Fil-A (I recently discovered how amazing this place is. I am so ashamed to say it took me so long to figure that out! Chick-Fil-A rules.) Then, we headed home to Nana and our two babies, who all had had such a blast together (as usual!) We are so grateful to her for all she does for us. We had such a great time spending uninterrupted time together- we were both so amazed at being able to just sit and talk, or just go and do whatever we felt like doing without having to worry about getting back to the babysitter or anything. We love being parents so much, we would never trade it for anything. But it's also fun to occasionally be reminded that we are also a couple, and not just mom and dad!
And, of course, I forgot to take the camera with us (not that anyone wants to see pictures of our steaks, hot tubs with a bunch of high-schoolers that showed up and started being super-obnoxious (just doing their job), or hotel waffles. I think the description will suffice just fine here. But I did take some cute pictures of the kids with their Nana. That is definitely worth a look!
3 comments:
Sounds like a great weekend. I wish I could eat see's choc. with you. Oh yea maybe some Dr. Pepper too.
Happy V-day.. glad it was fun for you. I, on the other hand, don't celebrate the holiday. Being single too long, in a state where my friends and I were considered "Old Maids", jaded me (and my roommates). We dubbed the holiday "Single-Awareness Day".
I guess I should get over (now that I am no longer single) but I haven't. With a wedding anniversary on Feb 8th, I'd rather just celebrate that and not indulge in over-priced meals and flowers on the 14th. But, good for you, whenever a night out sans kids presents itself, by all means, seize the day!
No you laugh your heart out because I am still laughing. Nerd Alert. I completely forgot about that. Thank you for the laugh.
Post a Comment