"To the whole world you might be just one person, but to one person you might just be the whole world." -Joseph Campbell
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
On To the Next Thing
Well, now that the marathon is over and done with, it's time for me to move on to my next goal: to learn to play the piano (and play well!) When I was a kid, I took lessons for a few years, but due to a lack of motivation to practice, my mom threatened to sell the piano, but I didn't take her seriously... I came home from school one day and it was gone. And now, more than 20 years later, I really regret it! But I am a big subscriber to the belief that anything is possible, and it's never to late to reach for your goals, no matter how difficult they might seem. I found a great teacher (my bishop's wife- she is awesome) who is willing to teach me on Saturdays, so Marshall can watch the kids. The funny thing is, we don't even have a piano...just a little keyboard for now. It's better than nothing, I guess! (Besides-I have a key to the church.) Marshall and I went to a Jim Brickman concert the other night, and I am so inspired by his music. I can really feel it, and I can't wait until I can sit down at the piano and just play that type of music on my own. I know I can do it. I told Marshall as we were sitting there on the blanket outside listening to the concert that that will be me one day. He chuckled and said something to the effect that I need to be careful what goals I set because I will do anything to do what I say I'm going to do. It was maybe one of the best compliments I have ever received. Right now, running another marathon seems much less daunting than learning a musical instrument since I am old and my brain is hard and no longer pliable...lol -but with hard work and practice I know I can do anything I want to do. Even if all I can play right now is chopsticks...!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Read about Heber J. Grant, and his tenacity and determination. I agree that doing whatever you put your mind to is a great quality. Good luck, and I plan to be granted a concert soon!
Post a Comment