Tuesday, April 27, 2010

No Name

So...I suppose it is about that time where I start nesting and trying to get things ready for when this new baby makes her appearance. The fact that our last baby was a girl, born around the same time of year makes things really rather effortless. It is really just a matter of pulling the crib, changing table, and baby clothes out of the basement and getting them set up. Check. Only thing missing now is a name for this poor child. Seriously, we really don't even have any ideas yet. Why are baby names so difficult and stressful for me? I suppose the fact that my husband doesn't really have strong opinions (or even any suggestions, for that matter) doesn't really help any. It feels like all the pressure is on me!

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on choosing baby names? How do you come up with your names? Does anyone still use baby name books? If so, any suggestions on which books are best? All the ones I have flipped through in bookstores have mostly unusable, funky, foreign sounding names. (Not that I have a major problem with people naming their babies Shanequah or Lafawnduh, but, well, let's just say... it's not our style. lol) Do you look at your family pedigree charts? TV shows? Movies? Books? I considered for a minute sticking with the "A" names to narrow the search down considerably, but decided not to, since Andrew's and Allie's "A" names were just a coincidence. We are down to about 6 weeks before baby is due, and still, nada. Starting to feel a little anxious about this! Any tips or suggestions I can get would be greatly appreciated.

6 comments:

CJ said...

Sorry we took 2 'A' girl names here! We usually go through people that we have liked from our past, or just liked their names. Darren picked Juliet's name from a girl in one of his college classes. She now brings her kids into his office! Good luck, and keep up the good work of growing a baby! Hopefully we'll see you before then!

Michelle said...

I have a book that I like because it has names, meanings but then also has suggestions like if you named your kid Andrew, try.... so that names kind of match. It also has popularities over time so you can check that, too. That's the book that we found "Macy" in, but it wasn't a match for Gavin...

It's called the Baby Name WIzard. Here are the girl suggestions that match Allie: Josie, Callie, Eliza, Tess and Maggie (Some of those make me want to barf a little, but I won't tell you which ones so you can pick them ;))

Suggestions for matching Andrew are: Emily (A FAVE of mine), Katherine, Rachel, Sarah and Elizabeth. I like lots of those.

Suggestions for matching Drew: Kara, Brooke, Carly, Shea, Allison (WOWZA, your kids names already kinda match!)

I wish you lived close and I'd run the book by right now. There's other good stuff in here. See if your library has it.

We give our kids middle names with meaning - like named after someone. Mostly because we want to honor people we love, but don't like their names enough to be first names.

I love the name Brinley. I didn't take it, but I'm really hoping someone does. And I'm open to you using Macy and Michelle. Both of those are GREAT names.

Jared said...

Ruth sounds good to me.

DAVID BOREN said...

This is Sherrie, by the way.
I found a great baby name website when I was expecting Christian. (http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/) It includes a page where you can look up different names and it has comments from people who have the same name. It has statistics on how often the name was misspelled or mispronounced, and lists different ways the people were teased about it, or why they liked it. After you type in a name, it will have a couple tabs above it. Click on the tab that says "Considering this name?" I thought it was kind of cool. Good luck!

Bringhursts said...

Anjie. There you go. You have your name. You can thank me later.

Love you.

Amber said...

hey krista how are you I miss you so so so much. You look fantabulous. I love your hair it is so dang cute. My favorite name right now does start with an A and it is Adalynne Mae. ( I would call her Addie) That is the cutest name I think. Also other cute A names are abigail, Ashlee, Ashlynn, Ava. I also love the name Amy lynn. Maybe you will like any of these names. Let me know if you want me to come down in the summer and help.