Sunday, December 16, 2007

Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam



So I don't know if I have mentioned this before, but for the past year I have been in the Primary in our ward. Today I was doing Sharing Time. (If you've ever served in Primary, you know how nerve-wracking this can be. Oh, and did I mention there are over 100 kids in our Primary? It's a three-ring circus.)You know those people who get up and go on and on about how much they LOVE being in Primary, yada yada? Yeah-I'm not one of 'em. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but have you ever gotten up and done a tap dance in front of a crowd and they didn't even notice you were there? That would be a good way to describe the scene in our Primary. A member of the bishopric even had to stand up halfway through and reprimand the kids for their disrespect...humiliation. (Am I really that bad at crowd control? Ugh.) Anyways, between classes I left to go to the bathroom (practically in tears) and came back in to Singing Time and sat back down, before round 2 began. Then I looked over and saw the cutest little redhead looking over at me and waving, quietly sitting in a little chair next to his fellow nursery 'graduates', singing along with the chorister. My heart melted. I didn't know they were going to bring the new Sunbeams in for singing time today. All my frustration and embarrassment dissolved as I looked into the face of my sweet little child. It was then that I realized that every single well-intentioned, (albeit rowdy) kid in that room was someone else's sweet little child. It kind of put things into perspective for me. Even though I think about being released more than I care to admit, I know I have this calling for a reason. I just keep telling myself that, at very least, I am learning how to teach my own children, and just how much I should expect from them. Hopefully I hope to continue to learn and grow from this time spent serving these little ones. In the meantime, perhaps from now on I will remember to bring a chair and a whip.

1 comment:

Bringhursts said...

Mine and Todd's last two callings have been in the nursery so I totally feel for you. I try so hard to have a good attitude but also dream about getting released. I mean, if they just let me wear sweats and running shoes to church, I'd be fine.