Thursday, February 7, 2008

You Tell Me: Sad or Not??

Okay, so our fifth anniversary is coming up, and I am considering upgrading my wedding ring/band set to something I really love. When we were doing our initial ring shopping, I let the salesman talk me out of the ring setting I had always dreamed of, and I have regretted it ever since. On the other hand, I also feel that the ring I have is certainly special too, since we picked it out together, and it has been with me 5 years...but I don't love it. Part of me wants to get a new one that I really love, and the other part of me wants to stick with the original set to be able to hand down as an heirloom (and by the way- keeping the old one and buying a whole new set isn't an option here.) What do YOU think? Please be totally honest here; I would like as many opinions as I can get, so everyone please answer! So tell me- Sad, or Not Sad?

12 comments:

Mindi said...

Hmm, I was going to totally say keep it AND upgrade, until I read that it was not an option... that is a tough one. Since I don't remember what your current one looks like, or what your dream setting/diamond is.. it's hard to say. Can you show pics of what you have and what you want? Any way to incorporate the old one in the new one? Lame that the salesguy talked you out of it in the first place.

Brittney said...

My sister had the same problem - well except she told her fiance what she wanted, and he got something different. So - she always wanted something else. She ended up buying the new ring and keeping both. She switches which one she wears on different days. Sorry that isn't an option for you. I honestly think you seem like you'd be happier with a different ring, so I'd go for it. I personally think the ring is not the big deal - the marriage is. After all, the ring ceremony is not part of the temple ceremony.

Melanie said...

It will still be an heirloom 20 years from now, just a different one! Can you keep some of your ring, or have them melt down the metal in it to use for the new one? That way you'd keep some of the old ring with the new ring. The kids won't know which ring you got married with, so if you want to do it, go for it!

o charm said...

do you mean you'd have to sell your old ring? for sure get the one you've always wanted. you will be so much happier looking down at it, and will hardly miss the old one. it's all just stuff anyway. . . we'll have to part with it all someday.

Bringhursts said...

Ummm, Todd got to pick out the ring all by himself the first time so after a few years we just had to upgrade. Just pick out your dream setting and put a CZ in it if you have to. That way, you can keep both! Then, when Marshall is rolling in the money, make him buy you a gorgeous diamond for the new one.

Nachelle said...

I like that it is just girls who have responded because Jay & I had this whole conversation not long ago (my sis in law just got a huge upgrade, so it brought the topic up). It was funny cuz Jay was really almost suprised or offended if I would want a different ring, very personal to him since he picked it out (I do luv mine, just would like a band) but I say if you would love the new ring, go for it, especiallly if it was a regret from the beginning and if Marshall is on board, I say upgrade

CJ said...

Well, I think that you should get the new ring. If you can keep the old one and put a CZ in the new one, do that. Then you can get a new rock as soon as that becomes a possibility. Your ring should be your dream, and if it isn't, then you will never really like to wear it, and this is one ring that you should LOVE to wear! For our 10th anniversary D got me a new ring. At first I thought it was awful to put the old one away, but he (and the pretty sparkles) soon had me convinced.

Krista said...

Just to clarify- I am totally happy with the diamond- I wouldn't want it any bigger or a different shape. If I did upgrade, I would keep the diamond and just put it into a new setting (don't know exactly what setting I would want yet either.) Does anyone know if jewelers even give you the option to melt down the metal (mine is platinum) and pour it into a new setting? Obviously, cost is definitely an issue here; I think it would be a dumb idea right now to drop a huge chunk of change on an unnecessary piece of jewelry. (But maybe just a little chunk of change if I can trade my old one in!)

Bringhursts said...

If you can't get what you want, don't do it. Also, if you trade in, is it like trading a car in where you get totally screwed? Just thinking aloud.

Kimber said...

Krista,
Just a note- most places trade the ring in and give you a credit for what you paid for it. Since Kivalu, and I have been married I've had three and he told me I could up grade it whenever I want to! The marriage is what's sentimental not the ring! GET WHAT YOU LOVE, it will make you love your husband more.

Dave and Marsha said...

I think many people "settle" when they first pick out rings. I think if you still love one you didn't get back then, go for it. This will become the one you love and Cakes will too! Send up some pictures if you can. I know your setting is kinda"pokey-upie". Is that an issue? I couldn't handle the pointy stuff.

Dave and Marsha said...

I'm not one to give concervative advise on a new perchase. Go for the gold has always worked for me! (more like platinum eh?) Much to the anguish of my significant other. But her MO is what keeps our world going around. (if it makes you smile, it is worth while)
A few more smiles will always do the trick.

Love you. The cd's made my year. you da shiz@!@!

Matty