Friday, February 29, 2008

Happy Leap Day (Friday)

My posts have been pretty few and far-between these days- especially my Happy Friday segment. One week I was too busy, and the next week was a blah week, and by Friday I couldn't think of anything to be happy about (there, I said it!) ridiculous I know, but hey, don't we all have weeks like that sometimes? But in the meantime I have easily thought of a few things I have to be happy about.

1) My babies. No shocker that these two are first on my list. I seriously feel like the luckiest mom on the earth, and I know sometimes I am totally ungrateful for the precious gifts that I have been given in these little people. Luckily, there are many kind strangers in the world who frequently notice and comment on my "beautiful," "well-behaved," "good," "adorable," "happy" children, strangers to whom I am extremely grateful because sometimes it is hard to see things from the right perspective. More often than I like to admit, I get so wrapped up in my own agenda that I tend to get really impatient and I forget to just enjoy them. I am very thankful to those people out there for noticing what I often fail to, inadvertently reminding me how blessed I am. I tease that the reason I have such good kids is because the Lord knows I can't handle anything less...I tease, but deep down, I'm pretty sure it's true! No matter, though- I am just happy to have them- they teach me more than I will ever be able to teach them.

2)My mom- For always teaching me to love myself, and for the way she lives such a happy life, and doesn't let things get her "down." I love how positive and optimistic she has always been, and the way she really lives her life. She is never afraid of making mistakes, or messing up- she just jumps in and has fun with everything. And with her, everything is fun! She has always told me "this too shall pass," and "don't sweat the small stuff." I am so grateful to her for this because I tend to dwell on insignificant details and TOTALLY sweat EVERYTHING! I hope I can become more like her when I grow up. And I pray that I can show Allie how to live the way she has shown me. I can recieve no better compliment than that I remind someone of my mom.

3) Easter M&M's. (Ok, so I know this is totally switching gears, but I never promised Happy Friday wouldn't be random...!) Why do the pastel colors make them taste so much better? I could eat the whole bag. I look forward to Easter candy all year. By far the best holiday candy of out there. (Need I bring up Cadbury mini-eggs? He-llo, people!)


4)"Hangubbers 'n fries" (As is so eloquently stated by my favorite 3 year-old) EZ Take Out Burger- Finally...something in Orem akin to In-n-Out Burger, (one of my most FAVORITE places on earth to eat, which I only get if we go to Vegas or Cali (read-once every 2 years or so!) So I must admit, it isn't quite as good as the real thing, but there are definitely some great trade-offs. Location, obviously, is the first one. Second, their fries are better than In-n-Out's, AND they have fry sauce (this is Utah, people! Of course there's fry sauce...) Surprisingly, the prices were actually higher than the real thing, but I didn't care! They serve the food to you in a cardboard box, and the burger is wrapped halfway up in paper, just like the real deal. Overall I would give it a 7/10 (with In-n-Out being a 10, obviously) And even though the prices were surprisingly higher than the real thing, I will definitely be going back for more. Again, this is trivial and random, but it made me happy so I'm putting it in here!

5)Spring Flowers: I know I won't be seeing any action for at least another 6 weeks, but I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of my red and yellow tulips, with a border of grape hyacinth. I planted the bulbs back in the fall, and I can't wait to see what pops up here in the next month or two. I am a very inexperienced gardener -I still have a LOT to learn. Luckily for me, planting the bulbs wasn't rocket science. It was, however, a lesson in delayed gratification- an entire afternoon of digging that won't be rewarded for 6 more months. Something to look forward to and be happy about.

8 comments:

Kimber said...

You do have a darling mom... I love that you said she always taught you to love who you are. It is so important in the world we live in. Moms are the single greatest creation from God.

Melanie said...

We had intentions of putting in bulbs in April...never happened, so I guess I will have to wait until NEXT spring. We probably still won't put them in though - that's Mark's job because I do not garden. Buy flowrs, yes, plant flowers? No. I can't wait to see you in a few weeks!! And those kids! It's been forever!!! Oh, and M too! :o) ALL of you!! It won't be a long trip, but at least we are coming!!!

Mindi said...

:) Thank you for sharing your things you are thankful for... especially because I agree with all of them (except for the hamburger part)- spring flowers, easter m&ms, MY darling little Jack, and YOUR mom- I remember meeting her and thinking that she IS very cool. :) Here's to another week.

Sarah said...

I can definitely relate to you on the sweating the small stuff thing - that is totally me! That is pretty much my number one goal right now, not to blow things out of proportion. What a fun list! :)

Michelle said...

I love your happy things on friday. Great ideas, and yes, I did read your blog about Marsh a while ago...I totally forgot they were the same. I'm new to this whole blog/tagging thing.

Anyway, your kids are GREAT and I love that you enjoy them!

Michelle

Bringhursts said...

Great list! I have to concur with all of them except we have about 10 In-N-Outs here in Vegas and we take advantage of every one.

Mindi said...

Hey.. just noticed you have changed your quote in the header... to another GREAT one! But I didn't get to write down the other one.. which I also loved. Can you tell me where you found it.. or better yet, email it to my lazy self? That would be awesome! I also love the "peeing section" quote too! Where do you find this stuff?!

Michelle said...

I just bought me some of those yummy easter M&Ms and thought of you. I skipped Valentines M&Ms this year, so vowed not to miss another holiday!

Heart!