This has been a pretty good week; between the nice weather and the approaching holiday weekend, it seems easy to find things to be happy about. Here is what I have been thinking about today:
The Best Lunch: Jason's Deli. I had the BEST lunch today! I have been to JD a few times before, but it just keeps getting better, so I have to keep going back for more. I regret that it took me as long as it did to discover this gem, but I blame their marketing people because I think the name sounds very uninteresting and unenticing, hence the fact that is took me two years to finally try it, and they don't advertise very well. That being said, the have some of the BEST food I have had in quite a while. It is so fresh, and they have a huge selection of very original and fresh items to choose from on the menu (which is actually kinda sweetly torturous for indecisive people (that would be ME.) And the service is great, and the people are very friendly and helpful. So enough about that, let's talk about the food. Today I got something that wasn't actually on the printed menu, it was a new one called "Marlo's Big Cheesy," which consists of swiss, cheddar, and pepper jack cheese, wilted organic spinach, roma tomatoes and pesto on organic wheat ciabatta bread. It is basically a grown-up grilled cheese. SO good. Add a trip to the (very clean and well stocked) salad bar on the side (it even has mini muffins and garlic toast!) and I was a very happy camper. As if this weren't enough, they even have huge soda fountain, featuring one of my greatest loves- DDP. And if THAT weren't enough to keep me coming back for more, here is the icing on the cake: Ready for it? All you can eat soft serve ice cream is included with your meal. Free twin twirl cones? Are you kidding me? No one does that. Marshall went back three times and made himself some nice tall cones. The place was hopping, but not too packed and they still managed quick service. They even use "real" dishes- no plastic or paper. In summary, if there is one near you, give these guys a try. Although the name might sound boring, the food certainly isn't. Even if you hate it (doubtful!) who cares?-free ice cream! You can't lose.
New bra- Sorry if this borders on T.M.I. for some of you, but it made me happy, so too bad- I'm puttin' it in here! Sadly, after weaning baby #2, there really isn't much left there to speak of, it's really rather pathetic. I am basically left with 3 options: get a boob job (definitely not going to happen now, if ever) roll 'em up and stuff em in the old bra that I used to be able to fill out (neither comfortable nor attractive) or option 3- Get a padded bra. I opted for the latter. Even though I am still pretty flat, at least now I have a bra that actually fits me and doesn't poke me in the chest. Thank you Vickies. (Along those same lines: while I was there, I got some new lotion, too. I love it! It is their newest one, and it is called Sweet Daydream, and it is strikingly reminiscent of my most favoritest smelly lotion of all time, Exotic Bouquet (that V.S. tragically discontinued 10 years ago; it broke my heart.) Love it!
Work- I have been picking up more shifts at work lately,(for those of you who may not know, I am an RN at UVRMC in Provo, I work on a surgical inpatient unit.) I am amazed at how happy my "other" job makes me. There is just something about going out and doing my own thing, and the feeling of independence that comes from contributing monetarily to our family. Most of all, though, I love being able to be put into a situation where I have the potential to truly make a difference in someone's life, to be there to help empower people who are sometimes helpless and to hopefully help them make the best of a bad situation. My goal with every patient is to always leave them better than I found them. I love being a nurse, I think it is the best job in the world.
Tax refund: Thank you, Uncle Sam! I mean, I guess it was out money to begin with, but it's still nice to have it come back to you in a big chunk that you can really do something with. Last years' refund was extra nice, since we had an entire year of mortgage interest to claim, and also had a new baby last year! So we have decided that we are going to work on our backyard with part of the money. we are buying the kids one of those groovy swingsets with the built in fort and the wavy slide, and built-in bench and swings, etc. We are also getting some patio furniture; I am SO excited to be able to BBQ and eat outside all spring and summer. We are heading out this evening to pick up our new purchases. Now we just have the task of assembly to look forward to. Good thing Marshall is pretty handy!
Sees Candies: Ask anyone in my family and they will tell you. (Heck- ask anyone with any chocolate sense at all!) This place is legendary. Where else on earth can you merely set one foot in the door and there is a sweet little lady handing you free chocolates to sample? Answer me that!! The place is so irresistible. I went in yesterday to pick up a few chocolate eggs for Easter baskets (Guess who will be eating most of Allies? he he he...) and I ended up walking out of there with nearly twenty dollars worth of the world's best chocolate in my bag. It's worth every penny. (And honey, if you are reading this, I was um, er, just kidding about spending that much money on chocolate!) As with many other things in life, you absolutely get what you pay for. Good chocolate is no exception.
4 comments:
Okay, I love you, love you! This will be a marathon comment, but your post brought out a lot of comments in me.
1. Jason's Deli is awesome and I can't wait to go there with you. Your grown up grilled cheese sounds to-die-for. I love their broc and cheese baked potatoe, too. I totally agree with you, they do a sucky job of marketing, but maybe they are trying to be too cool for marketing or something...I can't wait until we can go there together.
2. New bras are heaven sent. Welcome to the padded bra world, I've been here my whole life. That's one thing I looked forward to being pregnant - bigger boobs. Sadly I wore the same bra for the whole 9 months, I just had to put in a bra extender. I got fatter, but my cup size stayed the same. Even nursing...nothing to write home about. I would wear padding now if I could. And I love Vicki Secs, she's worked wonders for me since I shelled out the dough 10 years ago. I'll never go anywhere else.
3. I'm glad you love your job. I'm dreading going back to work with every fiber of my being. I've started having work-mares at night too. I am not looking forward to it, and I definately do not feel like I make anyone else's life better each day. Hiss to corporate america.
4. I'm happy for you and your tax refund, even happier that I can take advantage of your sweet backyard when all is said and done! I can't wait for fun summer days at your place! (I still have no idea how our taxes are going to turn out...ugh - we needed the baby to come in December SO BAD. Both of us had good years, and we need all the deductions we can get!
5. I heart See's Candies so much. It's amazing how easy it is to spend money there! It's totally worth it though, Marshy. I love their free samples - my favorite See's is one that was introduced to me through a free sample. It's the pineapple truffle. Might sound gross, but if anyone can do it, it's See's and they keep me coming back for more. And I love that you can buy candy for your kids easter basket. Gavin's getting a book, a toy and some jammies...humph.
I heart you!
Wow - so many thoughts to comment on. Where do I begin? How about, WHERE is Jason's Deli? Just reading your description made my mouth water! Yikes! I am so tired of my same old "eateries". Going to have to hunt that one down -- or hunt you down and find it!
Second, congrats on the bra --funny that we were just talking about that the other night. What I have left is saggy enough that I don't need padding, but double wires or something! Sigh! Maybe I should venture in to Vics.
Third, it was so good to see you the other night, thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. Working with you has always been a treat, and even though you are a famous "half shifter" now, your skills as a nurse are sharper than ever. You have always come back to work with me, and I love it!
Fourth, ah tax refunds -- aren't they great? We keep using ours to pay off the CC's -- plus tuition. Can't wait for the year we actually get to "play" with the money. Hope you have loads of fun picking out backyard toys. You deserve it!
And finally fifth -- I have to admit that I have never set foot inside a See's candy store. Apparently I am really missing out on something! Well, everyone needs something to work on!
Always good to hear what is going on in your life. One of these days we will have to get together and perhaps you can show me your new house! (you were the first to see mine!)
I'm not going to comment on every part of the entry, for one because I don't know JD's, I am still working on the weaning thing... and not looking forward to the after-affects... I too am thrilled for our tax refund.. sounds like you have some fun things in mind for the WHOLE family... but I CAN appreciate good chocolate! Just not able to taste See's this Easter season.. unless you want to send some my way. :) I'm sure they will be gone before the post office opens back up next week... so, nevermind. Enjoy!
Sounds like a good week indeed. I am guessing Jason's is not something I will experience out here in MN, although we can go there for lunch on Thursday? Also, I am not a Vicki's person...unfortunately whoever trains their sales people to do fittings, does not know what they are talking about. She and I don't really "fit" each other. See's..another mystery to me. Walked past many, but never entered. I keep telling Mark to do our taxes...no idea how we will end up this year - let's hope this house helps. I am looking forward to the day I walk out of my job and never return..not necessarily to work,but just the present job!!
I am SO SO excited to see you next week!
Post a Comment